Go Back Food Hygiene

Poisoning Choking

Poisoning

Poisoning occurs when a substance enters your body and results in the damaging of cells, organs and harms your health. Poisons are usually ingested/swallowed but can be:
1. Inhaled
2. Splashed onto the skin or eyes
3. Injected
4. Enter the body through a bite (e.g. spider bites)
A number of substances are only poisonous if an abnormally large amount enters the body. An example of this is paracetamol as it is harmless if you take one or two tablets for a headache, but is poisonous if you take an overdose.
Some substances are so toxic that a small amount will be harmful with carbon monoxide being an example. Inhaling a small amount of carbon monoxide can lead to the loss of consciousness and death. Poisoning accounts for more than 7,500 hospital admissions in Ireland each year.

Preventing Poisoning - Resources

Click on images

abcofpoisoning poisonpreventionguidelines 

Poisons Information Centre of Ireland

First Aid and Safety >> 
Poison Prevention Tips >> 
Low Toxicity Substances >> 

Go Back Food Hygiene

Poisoning Choking